U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History
Skip Navigation, go to content

HISTORY OF THE OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY

AMEDD BIOGRAPHIES

AMEDD CORPS HISTORY

BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS

HISTORICAL ART WORK & IMAGES

MEDICAL MEMOIRS

AMEDD MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORIES

THE SURGEONS GENERAL

ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE SURGEON GENERAL

AMEDD UNIT PATCHES AND LINEAGE

THE AMEDD HISTORIAN NEWSLETTER

818th Medical Brigade

Units

818th Medical Brigade

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI):  

Symbolism: The winged staff represents the mission of the unit.  The yellow border symbolizes the complete and comprehensive support provided by the organization and continuity of service.  Yellow or gold signifies excellence.

The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for the 818th Hospital Center on 12 October 1990.  It was redesignated for the 818th Medical Brigade with the symbolism revised effective 17 September 1992. 

Lineage and Honors:

Constituted 27 October 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 818th Medical Service Detachment and activated 22 November 1944 in Belgium.

Reorganized and redesignated 10 April 1945 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 818th Hospital Center.

Inactivated 31 January 1946 in Belgium.

Allotted to the Army Reserve, assigned to the First Army and redesignated 12 August 1952 as Headquarters, 818th Hospital Center.

Activated 1 September 1952 at New York, New York.

Reorganized and redesignated 1 December 1955 as the 818th Medical Detachment.

Reorganized and redesignated 1 June 1956 as Headquarters, 818th Hospital Center.

Reorganized and redesignated 17 September 1992 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 818th Medical Brigade.

Campaign Participation Credit:

World War II
 Rhineland

Armed Forces Expeditions
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait

Decorations:
None