U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History
Skip Navigation, go to content

HISTORY OF THE OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY

AMEDD BIOGRAPHIES

AMEDD CORPS HISTORY

BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS

HISTORICAL ART WORK & IMAGES

MEDICAL MEMOIRS

AMEDD MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS External Link, Opens in New Window

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORIES

THE SURGEONS GENERAL

ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE SURGEON GENERAL

AMEDD UNIT PATCHES AND LINEAGE

THE AMEDD HISTORIAN NEWSLETTER

5th Medical Brigade

Units

5th Medical Brigade

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI):  

Symbolism: The crenellated cross symbolizes medical strength and defense.  The red saltire (Cross of Saint Andrew) refers to the State flag of Alabama, the unit’s home area and is a traditional symbol of independence and defiance against tyranny. The red triangle alludes to the iron rich Red Mountain, under whose shadow he unit resides. The reference to the Staff of Aesculapius alludes to its attribute of the Roman god of medicine and healing.

Background: The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved effective 16 September 2011.

Lineage and Honors

Constituted 5 September 1928 in the Organized Reserves as the 5th Auxiliary Surgical Group and allotted to the Sixth Corps Area.

Activated 20 April 1943 at Chicago, Illinois.

Inactivated 13 November 1945 Camp Sibert, Alabama. (Organized Reserves redesignated Organized Reserve Corps, 25 March 1948)

Redesignated 3 November 1948 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 330th Medical Group.

Assigned to First Army, 8 November 1948.

Activated 19 November 1948 at Portland, Oregon; inactivated 28 June 1950 at Portland. (Organized Reserve Corps redesignated Army Reserve, 9 July 1952)

Redesignated 20 April 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 5th Medical Group.
Activated 16 July 1982 at Birmingham, Alabama.

Campaign Streamers

World War II:
Northern France
Rhineland
Central Europe

Decorations

None