U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History
Skip Navigation, go to content

HISTORY OF THE OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY

AMEDD BIOGRAPHIES

AMEDD CORPS HISTORY

BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS

HISTORICAL ART WORK & IMAGES

MEDICAL MEMOIRS

AMEDD MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS External Link, Opens in New Window

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORIES

THE SURGEONS GENERAL

ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE SURGEON GENERAL

AMEDD UNIT PATCHES AND LINEAGE

THE AMEDD HISTORIAN NEWSLETTER

426th Medical Brigade

Units

426th Medical Brigade

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI):  

Symbolism: Maroon and white are the colors traditionally associated with the Medical Corps; gold denotes excellence.  The disc symbolizes mobility and quick response, and the triangle suggests the mountain state of Utah.  The cross highlights medical care and compassion.  The blue and green represent sky and grass and suggest life and the "Great Life giver."

Lineage and Honors:

Constituted 5 January 1943in the Army of the United States as the 426th Medical Battalion, Motorized

Activated 25 February 1943 at Camp Maxey, Texas

Battalion broken up 25 September 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:

Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 426th Medical Battalion

(Companies A,B, and C as the 564th, 565th, and 566th Ambulance Companies, Motor – hereafter separate lineages)

Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 426th Medical Battalion, inactivated 31 January 1946 in Germany

Allotted 29 March 1948 to the Organized Reserve Corps

Activated 20 April 1948 at Yakima, Washington

Inactivated 28 November 1949 at Yakima, Washington

Redesignated 18 August 1950 as Headquarters and Headquarters

Detachment, 426th Medical Group

Activated 1 September 1950 at San Francisco, California

Location changed 1 March 1952 to Los Angeles, California

(Organized Reserve Corps redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve)

Inactivated 1 January 1958 at Los Angeles, California

Activated 16 April 1986 at Salt Lake City, Utah

 Reorganized and redesignated 16 September 1993 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 426th Medical Brigade

Campaign Participation Credit:

World War II
Normandy
Northern France
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe

Decorations:

None