U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History
Skip Navigation, go to content

HISTORY OF THE OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY

AMEDD BIOGRAPHIES

AMEDD CORPS HISTORY

BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS

HISTORICAL ART WORK & IMAGES

MEDICAL MEMOIRS

AMEDD MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORIES

THE SURGEONS GENERAL

ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE SURGEON GENERAL

AMEDD UNIT PATCHES AND LINEAGE

THE AMEDD HISTORIAN NEWSLETTER

32nd Medical Brigade

Units

32nd Medical Brigade

32nd Medical Brigade
“Combat Medic Brigade”

The 32nd Medical Brigade is the recipient of a special designation recognized by the Chief of Military History, “Combat Medic Brigade”.

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI):  

Symbolism: Maroon and white are the colors traditionally used by medical units. The diamond shape of the insignia signifies courage and energy of the cadre, to educate and direct the troops in the field of Health Sciences. The couped cross, universal symbol for medical care, denotes the brigade's focus on medical service. The torch refers to guidance and knowledge, and the brigade's mission of training the troops. The star symbolizes Texas, the largest state in the Continental United States and location of the 32d Medical Brigade.

Background: The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved with amendments on 23 October 2002.  

Lineage and Honors:

Organized 1 June 1940 in the Regular Army at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, as the Provisional Medical Battalion, Medical Field Service School

Consolidated 11 August 1940 with the 32d Medical Battalion (concurrently constituted in the Regular Army), and designated as the 32d Medical Battalion

Inactivated 30 April 1948 at Fort Sam Houston, Texas

Redesignated 19 August 1992 as the 132d Medical Battalion

Headquarters, 132d Medical Battalion, redesignated 1 October 2002 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 32d Medical Brigade concurrently transferred to the United States Army Medical Command and activated at Fort Sam Houston, Texas

Campaign Participation Credit:

None

Decorations:

Meritorious Unit Commendation for the AMERICAN THEATER (World War II)