U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History
Skip Navigation, go to content

HISTORY OF THE OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY

AMEDD BIOGRAPHIES

AMEDD CORPS HISTORY

BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS

HISTORICAL ART WORK & IMAGES

MEDICAL MEMOIRS

AMEDD MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS External Link, Opens in New Window

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORIES

THE SURGEONS GENERAL

ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE SURGEON GENERAL

AMEDD UNIT PATCHES AND LINEAGE

THE AMEDD HISTORIAN NEWSLETTER

213th Medical Brigade

Units

213th Medical Brigade

The 213th Medical Brigade is a Mississippi National Guard unit. It consolidated 1 September 1995 with the 134th Combat Support Hospital, and continues to drill under that designation as part of the Mississippi Army National Guard.

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI):  

Symbolism: The cross, a symbol for aid and assistance, represents the medical mission of the organization.  The blue trident, attribute of Neptune, "father of waters," refers to the Mississippi River and to the state of Mississippi, present home area of the brigade.

Lineage and Honors: (Found as an Annex to the 134th Combat Support Hospital)

Organized and Federally recognized 23 October 1952 in the Mississippi Army National Guard at Jackson as the Medical Detachment, 114th Engineer Combat Battalion (NGUS)

Redesignated 13 May 1953 as the Medical Detachment, 114th Engineer Battalion (NGUS)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as Headquarters Detachment, 106th Medical Battalion, and Element of the 31st Infantry Division

Ordered into active Federal service 30 September 1962 at Jackson; released 5 October 1962 from active Federal service and reverted to state control.

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1963 as Company D, 106th Medical Battalion

Relived 15 February 1968 from assignment to the 31st Infantry Division; concurrently consolidated with Headquarters and Head quarters Detachment, 213th Medical Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 25 September 1956 at Jackson), and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Head quarters Detachment, 213th Medical Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1972 as Headquarters and Head quarters Detachment, 213th Medical Group

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1975 as Headquarters and Head quarters Detachment, 213th Medical Brigade

Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1977 as Headquarters and Head quarters Company, 213th Medical Brigade

Campaign Participation Credit: (134th Combat Support Hospital)

World War II
Rhineland
Central Europe

Decorations:
None

134th Combat Support Hospital Lineage:

Constituted 15 February 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 134th Evacuation Hospital, Semi-mobile

Activated 20 March 1944 at Camp Livingston, Louisiana

Inactivated 24 November 1945 at Camp Chaffee, Arkansas

Redesignated 2 September 1953 at the 134th Evacuation Hospital and allotted to the Mississippi National Guard

Organized and Federally recognized 15 June 1954 at Jackson

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as the 134th Surgical Hospital

Ordered into Federal service 15 October 1961 at Jackson; released 9 August 1962 from active Federal service and reverted to state control

Ordered into Federal service 30 September 1962 at Jackson; released 9 October 1962 from active Federal service and reverted to state control

Consolidated 1 September 1995 with Headquarters and Head quarters Company, 213th Medical Brigade, and consolidated unit designated as the 134th Combat Support Hospital

Home station: Jackson