U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History
Skip Navigation, go to content

HISTORY OF THE OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY

AMEDD BIOGRAPHIES

AMEDD CORPS HISTORY

BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS

HISTORICAL ART WORK & IMAGES

MEDICAL MEMOIRS

AMEDD MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORIES

THE SURGEONS GENERAL

ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE SURGEON GENERAL

AMEDD UNIT PATCHES AND LINEAGE

THE AMEDD HISTORIAN NEWSLETTER

112th Medical Brigade

Units

112th Medical Brigade

Ohio National Guard

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI):  

Symbolism: The cross, symbolic of medical care, extends throughout indicating the authority of the headquarters.  The maroon area at left, forming a directional pointer, suggests the flow of personnel from the forward combat area to the medical-care facility.  The wedge shape of the device, with forked base and the color blue, alludes to the Ohio state flag.

Lineage and Honors:

Organized 1 January 1904 as the Medical Department, Ohio National Guard

Mustered into Federal service 14 July 1916 at home stations; mustered out of Federal service 1 April 1917 and reverted to state control

Reorganized and redesignated 19 June 1917 as the Sanitary Train, Ohio National Guard

Drafted in Federal service 5 August 1917

Reorganized and redesignated 15 September 1917 as the 112th Sanitary Train and assigned to the 37th Division

Demobilized 12 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, Ohio

Reorganized and Federal recognized 25 April 1921 in the Ohio National Guard as the 112th Medical Regiment, with Headquarters at Columbus, and assigned to the 37th Division

Inducted into Federal service 15 October 1940 at home station

Reorganized and redesignated 16 January 1942 as the 112th Medical Battalion and remained assigned to the 37th Division (later redesignated as the 37th Infantry Division)

Inactivated 13 December 1945 at Camp Stoneman, California

Reorganized and federally recognized 9 October 1947 with Headquarters at Columbus

Ordered into active Federal service 15 January 1952 at home stations

(112th Medical Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 15 January 1954 with Headquarters at Columbus)

Released 15 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from 112th Medical Battalion (NGUS)

Relieved 15 February 1968 from assignment to the 37th Infantry Division; battalion concurrently broken up and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:

Headquarters and Company A as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 112th Medical Battalion

(Companies B, C, and D as the 685th and 382nd Medical Companies and Company E, 113th Medical Battalion, respectively hereafter separate lineages)

Location of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 112th Medical Battalion changed 1 August 1969 to Westerville

Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1972 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 112th Medical Group; location concurrently changed to Worthington (later incorporated with Columbus)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1973 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 112th Medical Group

Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1975 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 112th Medical Brigade

Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1977 as Headquarters and Headquarters, 112th Medical Brigade

Home Station: Columbus

Campaign Participation Credit:

World War I
Ypres-Lys
Meuse-Argonne
Lorraine 1918

World War II
Northern Solomons
Luzon (with arrowhead)

Decorations:

Meritorious Unit Commendation, streamers “Bougainville”, and “Pacific Theater”
Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, streamer (17 October 1944 - 4 July 1945)