U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History
Skip Navigation, go to content

HISTORY OF THE OFFICE OF MEDICAL HISTORY

AMEDD BIOGRAPHIES

AMEDD CORPS HISTORY

BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS

HISTORICAL ART WORK & IMAGES

MEDICAL MEMOIRS

AMEDD MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS External Link, Opens in New Window

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORIES

THE SURGEONS GENERAL

ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE SURGEON GENERAL

AMEDD UNIT PATCHES AND LINEAGE

THE AMEDD HISTORIAN NEWSLETTER

Appendix G

Table of Contents

210                                          

APPENDIX G HOSPITALS SERVING WASHINGTON'S ARMY

In the period covered by Chapter 4, a large number of hospitals served General Washington's army. Among those not discussed in the text are the following:1

Buckingham Meeting House, Pennsylvania. On 15 November 1777, General Washington ordered the sick of his army to be sent here, but on 18 November the government of the state of Pennsylvania apparently ordered that no more sick be sent to that town. As of 24 November, the Buckingham unit contained 259 patients, 10 of these being wounded and another 10 convalescent. This unit was among those closed after the British occupation of Philadelphia.  

French Creek, Pennsylvania. The hospital here was established in the winter of 1777-78 in the Lutheran Zion and German Reformed churches as well as in the parsonage they shared a few miles north of Yellow Springs. Ill will was stirred up by the arbitrary manner in which the buildings were requisitioned, but when he arrived at nearby Yellow Springs, Dr. Bodo Otto was able to smooth the matter over. The facility was still in operation in the spring of 1778, and the various components, one of which held more than 60 patients and another almost 100, were described at that time as "clean" and "airy."2

Lancaster, Pennsylvania. This facility seems to have been established sometime in the fall of 1777 and was the final destination of Brig. Gen. Anthony Wayne's wounded after the Paoli engagement. On 11 October 1777, the unit held 59 patients. It was apparently suffering the effects of overcrowding in late January and by early February was said to be caring for as many as 400 to 500 patients. On 26 April 1778, Brig. Gen. Lachlan McIntosh reported that 203 patients were in the hospital there, 98 had died or deserted, and 340 had been discharged since 1 January 1778. He added to his report the fact that among the latter there may have been some of the patients sent to Lancaster from Lititz.3  

Limerick, Pennsylvania. A letter of Dr. Benjamin Rush to John Adams of 13 October 1777 mentions a hospital located here, 26 miles from Philadelphia, on the road to Reading.4  

Manheim, Pennsylvania. A Manheim church was apparently used as a hospital and at least some medical supplies were stored in the town until March, when Shippen ordered them to be moved to Yellow Springs. Shippen reported 62 patients in this hospital on 24 November 1777, of whom 17 were sick, 5 wounded, and 40 convalescent.5  

North Wales, Pennsylvania. Mention is made in at least one contemporary account of a hospital established in a Quaker meeting house on the North Wales road. Shippen reported on 24 November 1777 that there were in this unit 100 sick and 59 convalescents.6

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. William Shainline Middleton, in his article "Medicine at Valley Forge," mentions a hospital located in a German Reformed church near Phoenixville in the spring of 1778.7  

Plumstead (Plumsteadville), Pennsylvania. A report dated 10 December 1777 lists a hospital here which admitted 40 patients at the end of November, of whom by 10 December 2 had died and 10 had been discharged, leaving 28 remaining. On 19 December 1777, the patients remaining here were removed by General Washington's orders, escorted by a surgeon, to Lititz.8

Red Lion (Red Lyon, Lionville), Pennsylvania. The Uwchlan Quaker Meeting House here was taken over by force to be used as a hospital in the winter of 1778. A hospital was still in existence at Red Lion in June 1778 and was sheltering 127 patients as of 14 June 1778.9  

Reamstown (Rheimstown), Pennsylvania. This unit was opened in December 1777 and closed on 17 March 1778. From 21 January to 17 March, 19 Reamstown patients either died or deserted.10  

Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania. This unit must have been established at essentially the same time as those at Ephrata and the other towns in the same general area. General McIntosh's report on Schaefferstown covers the period 1 January 1778 to 19 April 1778 and lists 76 patients remaining as of the latter date, 7 having died or deserted in the period and 103 returned to duty.11  

Warwick (Warrick), Pennsylvania. At least


211

some of the patients at this hospital were located in a Lutheran church, but General McIntosh's report of 26 April speaks of "Three Churches, Warwick." The unit was closed 7 April 1778 and its remaining two patients went to Manheim. Of the men cared for here, 41 were reported dead or deserted, 142 returned to camp.12

York(town), Pennsylvania. Although in late March the hospital here was reported as sheltering few patients, General McIntosh reported 23 still in this facility as of 27 April 1778 and the journal of the Rev. Dr. James Sproat implies that this facility was still open on 9 June 1778.13  

Black River, New Jersey. A hospital existed here for at least part of the spring and summer of 1777. In June, General Washington urged the replacement of the male nurses here by women, although there is no record of whether this was actually done.14

Mendham, New Jersey. A hospital existed here in a barn and a church near General Washington's army at Morristown for at least several months of the winter and spring of 1778. As in the case of Black River, New Jersey, General Washington wished the male nurses here to be replaced by women.15

Red Bank, New Jersey. Dr. Benjamin Rush was assigned the task of opening a hospital here to care for the wounded of the Delaware River forts in November 1777. It is unlikely, however, that he was able to progress far with his task, because Fort Mifflin, across the river from Fort Mercer, was abandoned by the Americans the night of 15-16 November and Fort Mercer five days later.16